Membership and volunteering are two great ways of being a more active part of our community.
Becoming a member is a great way to support the Vortex and help us keep our position as a key player in the community of jazz and the community of jazz. And, what’s more, you can gain benefits from regular attendance.
Members help us sustain our status as a not-for-profit organisation and are key to helping us provide a stage for performances that challenge Britain’s cultural mainstream, night after night. You can buy a membership for yourself or as a gift for the music nutter in your life, and know that you’re helping us survive.
TYPES OF MEMBERSHIPS
SINGLE MEMBERSHIP: £100 per annum
DOUBLE MEMBERSHIP: £150 per annum
CONCESSION MEMBERSHIP: £75 per annum (JSA claimants & pensioners)
STUDENT MEMBERSHIP: £Free
- 50% discount on tickets from Sunday to Thursday *(with some exceptions)
- £5 off gigs on Friday and Saturday *(with some exceptions)
- May book in advance and pay at the door
- May request seat selection
- No booking (or cancellation) fees
- Invitations to members events
- Monthly programme posted out
- Free download of specially selected live recordings at the club (once cleared by the musicians concerned).
- 10% off any Vortex merchandise (except fundraising merchandise
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS FOR MUSIC STUDENTS
Our music student membership is now free, and offers access to all our gigs at a reduced price.
To join, or if you have any questions about membership, give us a call on 020 7254 4097, 12 to 6pm Monday to Friday, or use this link form https://goo.gl/forms/tSlmV7ruVkRIqzhM2
For student membership use this link
Vortex is more than a venue: We’re a community of musicians and music lovers who generously give their talents, time and money to make this place a thriving hub of artistic development and cultural exchange. If a jazz club could survive purely on passion and musical quality, then the Vortex would be the richest club in the world. But it needs financial assistance, however small.
It’s run as a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. That means that there are no shareholders, no distribution of dividends and all surplus income can be recycled into helping the club.
Time is as valuable to us as money. Our dedicated team of volunteers are at the heart of the club and its activities. If we didn’t have volunteers there’d be no-one to unlock the door for musicians, do the sound, serve at the bar…
Our volunteers make sure every night and every gig is played in a uniquely friendly atmosphere. Becoming part of the team means you can listen to the music you love for free, discover new bands and musicians – and make new friends. Volunteers run the front of house and bar at all our gigs and often provide sound engineering. They help us set up before the start of the gig, work the bar, the door, and help to clear up at the end of the night.
But volunteers also help the club in other, less public ways. You can, if you wish, help in the office, just by answering the phone or more, distribute our monthly flyers in your own home area. Just ask and let us know what your skills are.
More skilled volunteers can assist with finance, technology, legal issues, social media and marketing. These specialist skills are always in demand.
We love and appreciate every single volunteer because they’re all amazing! If you want to become an part of our family here’s what you need to know:
- You’ll generally need to be able to commit to two gigs/month
- Hours are typically 7pm – 11.30pm on an evening, sometimes later at weekends
- You do not need bar experience to become a volunteer
- You do need to like people and talking to people
- If you’re thinking of joining us as an engineer, please note that you must be qualified as we don’t have the facility to provide training. Students towards the end of their course looking to gain more live engineering experience are welcome and will be assessed on a case by case basis.
We are also looking for volunteers who can help with activities in the office, such as administration, IT, and even just answering the phone. (You never know who you might meet.)
- For all enquiries or to get involved, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SUPPORT THE CLUB
At different times, we have been fortunate that there have been major supporters who have helped in buying our Steinway grand piano (one of the few in a jazz club in this country), our lights and PA equipment. A crowdfunding operation in 2016 helped pay work to upgrade the piano. You can support the club in other ways, such as sponsoring a gig, long-term monthly payments, help with improving our equipment or contributions by donating here:
Turn your unwanted CDs or books into live music
Donate your old CDs or books. We sell them on and use all the money raised to keep the performances going. Email: email@example.com