John Etheridge – Guitar
Pete Whittaker – Organ
Ian Thomas – Drums
An iconic figure on the UK jazz scene, John Etheridge first came to prominence in the mid 70’s with the classic fusion band “Soft Machine”. During the same time – demonstrating his remarkable and now well-documented versatility – he also spent a number of years touring with the celebrated swing jazz violinist Stéphane Grappelli. In recent years he has been busy performing and recording as a solo artist and with his own bands, notably the “Zappatistas” (his tribute to Frank Zappa), “Sweet Chorus” dedicated to Stéphane and “Soft Machine”, with whom he still appears.
The Blue Spirits Trio John is leading tonight is a classic guitar-led jazz organ trio and showcases the bluesier side of John’s musical repertoire. With Pete Whittaker on organ, a superb accompanist as well as soloist and in demand drummer Ian Thomas (Tom Jones, Eric Clapton).
‘No doubting his awesome authority whenever he touches the guitar’ ( The Guardian)
‘I never wanted to be a star just a highly respected musician like John Etheridge ‘(Sting –The Guardian 1980)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome back to the Vortex. Please note that we’ve implemented the following changes to our systems to make the club as Covid-safe as we can:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales. There will be twenty tickets only on sale for each gig.
- If you want to sit together with other people as a group we would ask that one person books all the tickets for the group, so that we are aware that you want to sit together.
- Up to six people may sit together as a group (unless the group consists of two households only in which case more than six may sit together).
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace using the NHS Covid app (or, if you do not have a smartphone. we will ask you to sign in manually)
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- We ask everyone to observe social distancing at all times.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.