The Sorin Zlat Trio, comprising Sorin Zlat on Piano, Razvan Cojanu on double bass, and Laurentiu Stefan on drums, has been performing since 2008, both on national and international stages. The three than senior students and best friends at the National University of Music in Bucharest, Romania decided to unify their love, knowledge, and passion for jazz to create meaningful, beautiful music which they hope will touch many generations to come.
Their style is a surprising fusion of cool jazz, bebop, Latin, contemporary, and classical jazz. Sorin, the band leader, created a repertoire comprising pieces of standard jazz and personal compositions which range through Latin, jazz, pop and classical music and are orchestrated to reflect the trio’s unique interpretative style. They are well known among their peers for their imaginative approach to jazz, which enabled the band to gain instant recognition on the jazz scene.
Their passion for music is reflected through the many jazz awards they won over the past few years:
• 2011 Grand Prize, Europafest International Jazz Competition, Bucharest, Romania
• 2011 Grand Prize, International Jazz Competition, Sibiu, Romania
• 2011 Best Band and Best Soloists Awards, International Jazz Competition, Getxo, Spain, where they were also invited to perform during the show opening act for the renowned guitarist, Lee Ritenour
• 2012 Special Prize of the Jury, International Jazz Competition, Hoeillart, Belgium
• 2013 Grand Prize and the Prize of the Public, International Jazz Competition,
• 2013 Best Band Prize, “Johnny Raducanu” International Jazz Competition, Bucharest, Romania
• 2014 Special Prize of the Jury, “Golden Jazz Trophy” International Jazz Competition, Lille, France
• 2014 Finalist at “Parmigiani Montreux Jazz Piano International Competition”, Montreux, Switzerland.
Recently, the band has finished working on their first album, entitled “Endurance”, which is slated to be officially released on April 18, 2015. This is the first album that Sorin Zlat Trio launches together. Its theme is centered on the power of love and family. The idea of the album came to life with Sorin Zlat, the leader of the Trio, composing the song “Roxane”, which he dedicated to his younger sister.“Endurance” is an album meant to remind the listeners about the unbreakable family bonds tightly weaved to withstand,
recover from, and surpass any hardships that life brings our way. It also contains joyful
music, such as the entertaining sounds of “Little Maximus”, where hope is reborn and
Currently, the members of the Trio are working on a second album, which they hope it
will continue to bring fresh and unique sounds that will pleasantly surprise their audience.
You can find the Sorin Zlat Trio performing at jazz venues both in their country of origin,
as well as across Europe (Spain, France, Turkey, Israel, United Kingdom, Belgium,
Monaco, and Switzerland).