Andrew Woolf – Tenor Saxophone
Joe Auckland – Trumpet
Rob Updegraff – Electric guitar
Dave Manington – Double Bass
Simon Roth – Drums
Song Unsung is saxophonist Andrew Woolf’s first release as a bandleader and composer. Subtle African and Brazilian derived grooves sit alongside ethereal and atmospheric free abstractions, whilst other compositions present soulful melodies which belie their odd-meter undercurrents – all drawn together by an emphasis on direct, lyrical expression, and heartfelt sincerity of emotion throughout.
Andrew is best known for his work in contemporary jazz groups such as The Button Band and Madwort Saxophone Quartet, as well as his explorations into choro (a style of traditional Brazilian music) with Alvorada – “one of the most exciting bands in London” (Resonance FM).
In his own ensemble, Andrew is joined by Joe Auckland (trumpet), Rob Updegraff (guitar), Dave Manington (double bass) and Simon Roth (drums). The contrasting voices of these impressive musicians complement each other beautifully, bringing an intimate quality to their improvisations and playful interactions.
“Thoughtful, melodic, uplifting music” (All About Jazz)
“Artful and lovingly rendered album” (Debbie Burke – jazz author)
“Warm-toned, mellifluous tenor saxophone… with elegant phrasing” (London Jazz News)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales.
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.