Annie Whitehead – Trombone, Effects
Steve Lodder – Piano, Keyboards
Dudley Phillips – Bass
Liam Genockey – Drums
Annie started her professional career with Ivy Benson’s All Girl Orchestra in 1971. Since then she has brought her distinctive sound to a wide range of projects, exploring many different musical styles. These include, amongst many others: the Brotherhood of Breath, various groups with John Stevens, Elton Dean’s Newsense (alongside legendary trombonists Roswell Rudd and Paul Rutherford), the Penguin Café Orchestra, McCoy Tyner, Carla Bley, Abdullah Ibrahim, Jasper van t’ Hof, Louis Moholo, and Robert Wyatt. With her own bands she has appeared at most major international jazz festivals, and has played throughout the UK in jazz clubs and festivals including London, Glasgow and Brecon. They have also featured many times on BBC Radio 3, broadcasting from the Blackheath Concert Halls and the London Jazz Festival.
“Sharp musicians are encouraged to converse in attractive settings drawn from African townships jive, funk, blues and straight-ahead jazz with a kink in it.”
(John Fordham THE GUARDIAN)
“A powerful mixture of African grooves, blustery free jazz, almost Ellingtonian expressionism at times and bursts of driving blues”
(THE GUARDIAN GUIDE)
“At the heart of Whitehead’s music there is a joy that is just irresistible..sheer enjoyment”
(John Eyles JAZZ RAG)
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.