Birame Seck – Acoustic guitar, voice
Thibaut Remy – Synthesizer, guitar, voice
Mike Idowu – Bass guitar
John Martin – Tenor Saxophone
George Jefford – Trumpet
Kaw Secka – Drum kit, Sabar drums
Richie Sweet – Drum kit
Awale Jant Band return to the Vortex showcasing the music of their latest album Yewoulen, and more.
“Bringing together members of the Senegalese-born singer Biram Seck’s Jant Band and French guitarist Thibaut Remy’s London-based African-European collective Awale, the debut from the combined eight-piece offers an enticing and energetic stew of African, Latin, jazz and funk elements topped with a sizzling slice of Senegalese soul. Seck’s songs are mostly sung in Wolof and his voice has a trace of Thione Seck about it.
‘The aesthetic is determinedly pan-African; the Senegalese sabar drums so characteristic of the mbalax style of Youssou N’Dour mix with Ethio-jazz horns and the simmering propulsion of Afrobeat. Seck’s theme is peace and unity in troubled times. The upbeat opener ‘Sope’ with its Fania-tinged Afro-Latin vibe, translates as ‘Love’. ‘Jeunesse’ is a lovely ballad-like plea for a better, prejudice-free future for our children and ‘Domi Adama’ (Son of Adam), with its pulsating rhythms and riffing horns, is a reminder of our common ancestry. Dakar meets Havana under the influence of World Circuit’s 2010 album AfroCubism on ‘Cubalkafro’ and ‘Just Be Free’ is a ska-pop work-out sung in English and Wolof that ends up sounding like Madness jamming with Orchestra Baobab. It is an album of admirable and solid achievement, which carries the suggestion that they’re probably even better live.’ Songlines.
‘A truly magical and uplifting cross-cultural collaboration, bringing together Afro-Latin, Funk and Soul elements with a Senegalese twist. The wonderful voice of Biram Seck and Thibaut Remy’s compositions make for an unmissable combo. Must See!’ Tim Garcia (Musica Macondo)
“Bringing a distinctive eastern take on Afrobeat” Lopa Kothari, BBC Radio 3
“Awalé are doing something different with Afrobeat and I do like it.” The late Charlie Gillett, BBC Radio
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.