Denys Baptiste – tenor and soprano saxophones
Nikki Yeoh – piano and keyboards
Larry Bartley – bass
Rod Young – drums
British saxophonist and composer Denys Baptiste is one of the most celebrated and important jazz musicians in the UK. Since bursting onto the scene almost two decades ago he has powerfully demonstrated the boldness of his sound and the vitality of his vision.
The Late Trane, is a strong statement, reimagining the late period music of John Coltrane, that balances the master saxophonist’s unique artistic vision with the visceral emotions and cosmic references that encompass Coltrane’s later work: surely some of the most spiritually charged music of the 20th Century. The Late Trane is a reverent acknowledgment of this remarkable man and his music, who passed away 50 years ago this year, by an artist with his own voice and his own sense of destiny.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.