Elliot Galvin – piano
Binker Golding – saxophones
John Edwards – double bass
Seb Rochford – drums
The musicians will perform an improvised set.
John Edwards is a true virtuoso whose staggering range of techniques and boundless musical imagination have redefined the possibility of the double bass and dramatically expanded its role, whether playing solo or with others. Perpetually in demand, he has played with Evan Parker, Roscoe Mitchell, Sunny Murray, Derek Bailey, Joe McPhee, Lol Coxhill, Peter Brötzmann, Mulatu Astatke and many others.
Elliot Galvin is one of the stars of UK jazz. A superbly gifted composer and pianist, whose maverick imagination and magpie like ability to blend a disparate world of influences into his own unique musical vision has been compared to Django Bates although he sounds like no one except himself. Elliot is a prolific composer and has been commissioned by a number of Ensembles, Dance Companies, Theatre Groups and Festivals including the London Sinfonietta and Ligeti String Quartet.
Formerly a member of the F-IRE Collective, composer, songwriter, producer and drummer Seb Rochford’s current bands include the Mercury-nominated Polar Bear; new band Jyager Bear, with MC Jyager, Pete Wareham and Shabaka Hutchings; Trio Libero, with Andy Sheppard and Michel Benita; rock trio Big Dave, with ex-Babyshambles guitarist Patrick Walden; and electro-acoustic quartet Fulborn Teversham.
Binker Golding is a tenor saxophonist & composer. With his ensemble Binker & Moses he has released four critically acclaimed albums & has won as many awards, including a MOBO award in 2015. He also fronts his own group which was nominated for a Jazz FM award in 2020 for best album. He also received the Jazz FM award for instrumentalist of the year in 2020. He is also known for performing improvised music in a duo with Elliot Galvin & alongside John Edwards & Steve Noble in trio format.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.