Emma Rawicz – Tenor Saxophone
Ant Law – Guitar
Ivo Neame – Piano
Conor Chaplin – Double Bass
James Maddren – Drums
Emma Rawicz is a young saxophonist and composer, already making waves on the UK music scene. At the age of 19 she has already recorded her eagerly awaited debut album featuring Ant Law, made up entirely of her original compositions, due to be released in early 2022. She has also already created a name for herself both as a bandleader and a sideman. A new arrival on the scene, she has already made an impact, regularly playing at multiple major jazz venues including Ronnie Scott’s and Pizza Express with a wide range of established musicians.
Emma’s influences range from modern jazz and fusion to folk and soul, key figures in her musical development including Chris Potter, Ari Hoenig, Kenny Garrett, Joe Henderson, Chick Corea and more.
Growing up in rural North Devon, Emma didn’t discover jazz until the age of 15, and didn’t pick up the tenor saxophone until a year later, but had spent her childhood otherwise immersed in music as a violinist, playing largely folk and classical music.
Emma is a natural performer and will be presenting more of her new original music from her new project, as well as some music from her upcoming album, “Incantation”. Her music has a unique sound, fusing all her many influences, and her compositions range from lilting Afro Cuban inspired grooves to hard hitting funk numbers.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.