Chris Hyde-Harrison – Double bass
Alban Claret – Guitar
Duncan Eagles – Tenor Saxophone
Matt Parkinson – Drum kit
Odd-time palpitations, Eastern tinged melodies and full-throttle improv make up the sound of London based band Estraven. Their debut album ‘Ignored Advice’ to be released in February 2022 features all original compositions that stem from bassist composer Chris Hyde-Harrison’s love of jazz, contemporary-classical and various world musics. In 2020 he was awarded Arts Council England’s DYCP grant to spend a year studying maqam (an Arabic modal music), this period of investigation has strongly influenced his compositional approach and can be heard interweaving through the new album.
Collectively the band share a love of modern jazz that includes the music of Ben Wendel, Ari Hoenig and Mark Turner.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.