Becca Wilkins – Vocals
Christos Stylianides – Trumpet, Electronics
Olly Chalk – Piano, Synths
Daisy George – Bass
Jack Robson – Drums
Becca Wilkins is a young, innovative vocalist, and her latest project, Gestalt, aims to break the mould of vocal-led jazz ensembles. Becca’s unique sense of style combines poignant lyricism with textural vocalisation in a soundscape combining electronics, FX and improvisation. Musical influences come from a range of European avant-garde vocalists including Leïla Martial, Lucia Cadotsch and Mirna Bogdanović, as themes of mythology and philosophy are coupled with compelling extemporisation from some of London’s most exciting young jazz musicians.
This is achieved through the line-up of Olly Chalk (Scathed Citizens, iago goes to the chapel), Christos Stylianides (corto alto, Norman Willmore Quartet), Daisy George (Daisy George Trio, Jas Kayser) and Jack Robson (Sascha Create, Brother’s Testament). This powerhouse band is a force to be reckoned with and is the driving force behind Gestalt’s heavy and impressive sound.
Loosely translated as an entity greater than the sum of its parts, Gestalt aims to reflect this principle, as the rhythm driven, heavy grooves of Becca’s writing are elevated by the bands’ expert musicianship, creating a unique and gripping musical experience.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales.
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.