Photo credit Daniel Devlin @susakpress
Martin Speake – Alto Saxophone
Alyson Cawley – Tenor saxophone
Calum Gourlay – Double bass
Jeff Williams – Drum kit
Over the past few years Alyson Cawley and Martin Speake have been collaborating closely together on diverse projects ranging from exploring South Indian music to Charlie Parker to free improvisation. Throughout the lockdown period of 2020 two new projects have arisen inspired by a love of Ornette Coleman and Lennie Tristano. Ornette Coleman’s melodies are a perfect vehicle for Alyson and Martin to improvise freely together and the band that has formed with the addition of Calum Gourlay and Jeff Williams provides a highly spontaneous and conversational environment for these creative musicians to collectively tell their own story. Many of Ornette’s melodies have become standards being played by musicians all over the world, such as Lonely Women, Ramblin’ and Law Years. But there are many undiscovered gems that are not played as often or at all by others. We have over 80 tunes to draw on already and the repertoire is growing.
This music is endless. Ornette is the supreme melodist.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.