Unfortunately and due to unforeseen circumstances this performance had to be cancelled.
Reza Mohammadi – Spoken Word
Joel Bell – Guitar/Composition
Hyelim Kim – Taegum Flute
Faraz Eshghi Sahraei – Kamanche/Qeychak
Colin Alexander – ‘Cello
Matt Ridley – Bass
Vasilis Sarakis – Percussion
Working with Afghani poet, Reza Mohammadi, guitarist/composer and Gokumi leader Joel Bell has drawn from the traditional Persian compositional technique of borrowing rhythms from ancient poetry, extending this into detailed transcriptions of Reza’s powerful recitations, which the group then extend and improvise upon.
Reza is regarded as one of the most exciting young poets writing in Farsi today and a prolific journalist, with articles published in Afghanistan, Iran and the Guardian in the UK. In 2014 he was awarded the Medal of Mir Masjedi by Afghanistan president with more than 30 other awards to his name.
Expect a blurring of tradition, improvisation and composition in an intimate expression of contemporary spoken word.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.