Julian Siegel – Tenor saxophone, Bass clarinet, Soprano saxophone
Liam Noble – Piano
Oli Hayhurst – Double bass
Gene Calderazzo – Drum kit
With the Julian Siegel Quartet, the BBC Jazz Award winning saxophonist and composer Julian Siegel can be heard alongside some of this generation’s most distinctive voices, creating an in-demand Quartet on the UK and European Jazz scene. The band features inspirational pianist Liam Noble, his fluid touch and dazzling imagination perfectly complementing Siegel’s music and playing, and providing a perfect foil for the many directions the music can turn. With the creative spark of dynamic drummer Gene Calderazzo and the deep groove of bassist Oli Hayhurst dove-tailing perfectly with Siegel and Noble this is unquestionably one of the UK’s most exciting and powerful quartets.
“Expressive direct music…. tightly wound post-bop, pensive improv and more.” – John Fordham, The Guardian
Jazz Album of the Month, February 2018
“A great quartet with an enthralling agility.” – In Music
“The interaction between the musicians is confident, lyrical and cool, joyous and snappy, precise and sprawling – and enchanting melodiousness throughout.” – Saarbrücker Zeitung
Following up from their London Jazz Award winning album Urban Theme Park (Basho Music), 2018 saw the release of VISTA, the Quartet’s second album and the first on the Whirlwind Recordings label. The album features ten of Julian’s compositions plus an arrangement of Bud Powell’s ‘Un Poco Loco’. This new acoustic set of music moves freely through varied sound worlds and colours, from undercurrents of bop to searching ballads and joyful melodies. Since the release of VISTA, the band has performed at international Jazz Festivals including INNtöne Jazz Festival in Austria, Made in The UK at the Rochester International Jazz Festival, the Jazz Standard NYC, JazzFestival Göttingen in Germany, Limerick Jazz Festival Ireland, UK’s Love Supreme Festival 2019, Bristol International Jazz and Blues Festival, Manchester International Jazz Festival plus an extensive 2018 – 2019 Arts Council England UK Tour.
The Quartet was featured on the cover of UK’s Jazzwise Magazine in February 2018 and VISTA was included in Jazzwise’s Top 20 Jazz Albums of the year.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.