Zhenya Strigalev – Alto saxophone, Synthesizer
Jamie Murray – Drums
JZ Replacement is a dynamic new international project from saxophonist Zhenya Strigalev (Ambrose Akinmusire, Eric Harland) and drummer Jamie Murray (Sun Ra Arkestra, Native Dancer).
Frequent collaborators and quiet stalwarts of the London jazz scene, the duo has been racking up vast acclaim performing independently and alongside the finest, the genre has to offer. Having performed together in Jamie Murray’s solo project “Beat Replacement” just two years ago, they discovered a natural symbiosis and appreciation for free-flowing experimentation.
This inspired them to explore their individual playing styles and influences and work together to refine their collaboration into something more precise without compromising on the pliability that their recently found connection has afforded them.
Both Zhenya and Jamie have covered an enormous amount of sonic terrain in their own rights before the meeting, and the amalgamation of their most consummate ideas are now being combined to create something that is all at once organic, original, frenetic, and highly danceable. Whilst some easy comparisons to their more traditional sensibilities are easily made, their new album ‘Disrespectful’ draws on elements of Breakbeat, Eastern European folk, and free jazz, whilst also calling to mind a broad spectrum of influences from the likes of John Zorn to David Bowie to Zach Hill and Miles Davis.JZ Replacement’s serendipitous partnership has also inspired the duo to look further afield to develop and challenge their sound.
” Their imaginative approach is front and centre on each track, letting listeners dream up their own visualisations. It’s an incredible listen from beginning to end, building a sound that’s both unique and familiar.”
— Danielle Holian, Headstuff
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.