Kieran McLeod – trombone
Ralph Wyld – vibes
Huw V Williams – bass
Luke Bainbridge – drums and compositions
Luke Bainbridge is a drummer and composer whose distinct voice can be heard as both sideman and bandleader. He has performed as part of the Duncan Fraser Septet, Rhythms of the City, Seven Steps Big Band and Sister Sally, as well as gigs with Hannes Riepler and Michael Chillingworth. His compositions have garnered critical acclaim in both jazz and contemporary classical arenas – 2018 Dankworth Prize for Jazz Composition and 2017 Compass Composition Prize in association with BCMG – and he explores both of these influences in his quartet project Surface Tension with Kieran McLeod, Ralph Wyld and Huw V Williams.
Inspired by the dynamic relationship between composition and improvisation, Surface Tension explores different forms of musical storytelling – from large-scale journeys, to angular ritualistic loops, to multi-geared solo-coaster rides. In an eclectic mix of styles, this project is influenced as much by Béla Bartók as it is by James Brown. Luke’s debut album presents the latest line-up of Surface Tension, born out of the recent pandemic restrictions. Living locally to one another, the band were able to rehearse safely outdoors at a social distance. This period not only deepened the project’s strong roots in groove and contemporary classical music, but also took exciting new steps into the world of free improvisation. Currently preparing for their autumn release, and poised to gig music from the album and beyond, this exciting new quartet is set to make an impression within the UK music scene.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.