Mark Lockheart – saxophones
Elliot Galvin – piano
Tom Herbert – bass guitar
Dave Smith – drums
Dreamers is the new project from British saxophonist and composer Mark Lockheart featuring Elliot Galvin (Dinosaur, Elliot Galvin Trio), Tom Herbert (Polar Bear, The Invisible) and Dave Smith (Robert Plant). Stylistically free and slightly psychedelic in nature, the formation of Dreamers signals a new trajectory for the musician who has already featured on a wide ranging and diverse catalogue of albums including Radiohead’s Kid A and Prefab Sprout’s Steve McQueen.
As a founding member of Loose Tubes and Polar Bear, Mark Lockheart has often remained ahead of the curve and has constantly explored new directions in his own music. Dreamers epitomises that adaptation and evolution, allowing the music to speak beyond the boundaries of genre. Lockheart’s multifaceted outlook on music is explored through a new set of original compositions with this bold and unique sounding group. Expect urgent, exciting grooves and textures all cleverly crafted together within Lockheart’s unique and memorable melodies. There’s a wide range of influences here, from Ellington and Shorter to John Zorn, the Beatles and even Kraftwerk!
“From Loose Tubes to Polar Bear and beyond, Lockheart’s capacity to be ahead of the jazz curve is undeniable. In this new band his combination of lyrical economy and harmonic creativity has found three improvisatory soulmates who clearly know how to make the most of his compositions in their own terms” . Jazzwise magazine
Dreamers will be released on 28th January 2022 on the Edition label.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.