Sheila Maurice-Grey – trumpet / flugelhorn
Artie Zaitz – guitar
Renato Paris – piano / synths
Arthur O’Hara – bass guitar
Benjamin Appiah – drums
MS MAURICE ALSO KNOWN AS SHEILA MAURICE-GREY IS A LONDON BASED TRUMPETER, VOCALIST AND VISUAL ARTIST
Ms Maurice brings her melange of influences from organic grooves infused with 70s jazz and a touch of West African sonic seasoning. These sounds are heavily influenced by her London upbringing. Central to Ms Maurice’s music, is stimulated by her visual art practice where she aims to question her ‘identity’ as well as what it means ‘to misrepresent vs to be misrepresented.’ Her art provocatively explores the notion of ‘blackness’ and the hyper sexualisation of the black female body throughout history since the early 1800’s. In particular she is interested in the visual history and facts known about ‘Blackface Minstrelsy’ and ‘The Hottentot Venus – Sarah Bartmann.’
Ms Maurice is also bandleader of KOKOROKO and plays with jazz septet Nérija, who were nominated for Jazz Fm Breakthrough Act 2016 and Parliamentary Jazz Newcomer of Year 2017 winner. She has performed with the likes of SOLANGE, KANO on the ‘Jool’s Holland Show’ and ‘The Mercury Prize 2016,’ and features on Little SIMZ’s album ‘Stillness in Wonderland.’
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.