Nick Costley-White – Guitar
Ivo Neame – Piano
Conor Chaplin – Double Bass
James Maddren – Drums
Nick Costley-White is one of the most in demand guitarists on the UK jazz scene, renowned for a deep understanding of the jazz tradition and repertoire, alongside a virtuosic technique and progressive approach to improvising. Here he leads his “New Quartet” featuring the fearless and virtuosic piano playing of Phronesis pianist Ivo Neame, supported by the inventive and swinging rhythm section of double bassist Conor Chaplin (Marius Neset, Laura Jurd) and drummer James Maddren (ENEMY, Gwilym Simcock). The quartet perform new compositions by Nick which draw on the melodic and rhythmic counterpoint of classic 60s Blue Note Jazz as well as Brazilian and Cuban influences, recontextualised in an open, fluid improvisational environment.
“I was struck by the sheer presence and melodic heft and ease of Nick Costley-White’s playing. The ideas flow naturally, the sound is gorgeous, there’s just nothing missing” Sebastian Scotney, London Jazz News
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.