Dee Byrne – Alto Saxophone, Compositions
Nick Malcolm – Trumpet
Tom Ward – Bass Clarinet, Clarinet
Rebecca Nash – Piano
Olie Brice – Double Bass
Andrew Lisle – Drums
Outlines is a new sextet led by Dee Byrne, playing her original compositions. The music evolved out of Dee’s Developing Your Creative Practice project (funded by Arts Council England.) Using small visual art sketches as a complementary creative channel, Dee experimented with composing short musical sketches that stood alone as artistic statements. These short statements are ‘Outlines’ – a springboard for this dynamic ensemble to go in new, exciting directions every time.
Tonight the sextet play these compositions for the first time in preparation for their album recording in October, to be released on Whirlwind Recordings in 2022.
Dee is a London-based saxophonist, composer and improviser with an interest in pushing the boundaries of jazz. Dee collaborates with artists from the UK and Europe who occupy the area of contemporary jazz, avant-garde and free improvisation. Dee composes for her quintet Entropi and UK/Swiss sextet MoonMot. She is a member of electronics duo Deemer, Oli Kuster – Cyrill Ferrari – Dee Byrne trio, European quintet Ydivide and the London Improvisers Orchestra. She also on occasion plays with Nick Walter’s Paradox Ensemble and Ben Cottrell’s Beats & Pieces Big Band. In recent years Dee has started a solo project exploring the saxophone and electronics.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.