Berlin-based saxophonist Phillip Dornbusch joins three of the most exciting and engaging musicians in the UK for a special one-off concert. Both sets will be completely improvised.
Phillip Dornbusch is a Berlin-based saxophonist and composer. In 2018, he was awarded the Jazzpreis Hannover and Münchner Jazzpreis as a member of the Fynn Großmann Quintet. With his band Phillip Dornbuschs Projektor, Phillip released his debut album “REFLEX“ in January 2021. Phillip has performed concert tours and festival performances at Elbjazz (GER), Jazz Baltica (GER), Rochester International Jazz Festival (USA) and Toronto Jazz Festival (CAN) and had the chance to play with national and international renowned artists such as: Django Bates, Wanja Slavin, Uli Kempendorff, Lucia Cadotsch, Randy Brecker, Niels Klein and many others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXynM2hJkQ
Laura Jurd is a trumpet player, composer and improviser from the UK. A recipient of multiple awards and a BBC New Generation Artist from 2015-2017, Laura has developed a formidable reputation as one of the most distinctive and creative composer-performers to emerge from the UK in recent years. Performing regularly throughout the UK and Europe, she leads the 2017 Mercury-nominated band Dinosaur who have performed at North Sea, Montreal and Molde International Jazz festivals to name a few. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOX056cx-c&t=3s
Olly Chalk is pianist, composer and improviser. As both sideman and leader, his work has been shaped and defined by a variety of imaginative original music ensembles. His album ‘Scathed Citizens’ won the Peter Whittingham Development Award and features the fiercely innovative saxophonist John O’Gallagher who described Olly as a ‘virtuoso pianist with a compelling and unique musical vision’. More recently, Olly has won the Trinity Laban MMus Prize and was a Gold Medal Award nominee. His new project Houndsbleat (featuring some of the best improvisers in London) will be performing at EFG London Jazz Festival in November 2021. https://youtu.be/Wxwgy2gatnw?t=3764
Will Glaser is a highly in demand sideman to a vast array of the British Jazz scene; performing with broadly ranging musicians such as Soweto Kinch, Dame Cleo Laine, Stan Sulzmann, Kit Downes, Nikki Iles, Dinosaur, Alex Garnett, Martin Speake, Josephine Davies, Yazz Ahmed, Eddie Parker, Freddie Gavita, Henry Lowther, Babelfish, Liam Noble, Rick Simpson, and Sam Leak to name a few. His influences draw eclectically from across jazz history, improvised music and anywhere else, from Baby Dodds to Milford Greaves, Max Roach to Paul Motian, Roy Haynes to Joey Baron or Ed Blackwell to John Bonham. Will can be heard playing anything from traditional Jazz, in straight ahead settings to improvised music or avant rock.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.