John Edwards – bass
James Allsopp – saxophone
Shane Forbes – drums
John Edwards is a true virtuoso whose staggering range of techniques and boundless musical imagination have redefined the possibility of the double bass and dramatically expanded its role, whether playing solo or with others. Perpetually in demand, he has played with Evan Parker, Roscoe Mitchell, Sunny Murray, Derek Bailey, Joe McPhee, Lol Coxhill, Peter Brötzmann, Mulatu Astatke and many others.
James Allsopp is a multi award winning Saxophonist, Clarinetist and Composer. His compositions and improvisations combine highly complex rhythmic and harmonic structures with a use of unusual sounds and orchestrations to allow for a seemingly infinite range of improvisational possibilities. James has played in the UK and all over Europe and the U.S.A with many musicians including Polar Bear, Joe Morris, Paul Dunmall, Dylan Bates, Graham Collier and Stan Sulzmann.
Drummer Shane Forbes is the co-leader of the extraordinary multi award winning quartet/collective ‘Empirical’. Shane has a driving style that is full of textures and cultural influences from all over the world. He’s toured with Steve Grossman, Jason Marsalis, Soweto Kinch, Jean Toussaint, Groupo Elegua and Robert Mitchell.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.