Tom Barford – Tenor Saxophone
David Ferris – Organ
Jonathan Silk – Drums
Tom will be joined by the formidable David Ferris and Jonathan Silk for an incredibly feel good set of music. The trio will be playing original compositions alongside some of their absolute favourites by Larry Goldings, John Scofield, Joe Lovano, Michael Brecker and more.
The initial idea for this band was seeded by the trio on tour as sidemen in Tom Syson’s band. “How fun would it be to play a whole gig of our favourite music?”. The result has created a high power, energetic and feel good organ trio made up of musicians who have individually made a name for themselves on the UK jazz scene.
Tom Barford won the 2017 Kenny Wheeler Prize and as a result recorded his critically acclaimed album Bloomer. Tom has since continued his relationship with Edition Records by collaborating with peer Alex Hitchcock to form the band AuB who released their debut album back in May 2020.
Jonathan Silk is a Scottish drummer, composer, and bandleader based in Birmingham. He has released two albums with his own big band and string orchestra to critical acclaim and worked with world-renowned composers Vince Mendoza and Maria Schneider as well as a host of other nationally and internationally renowned musicians. Awards include BBC Young Scottish Jazz Musician of the Year in 2014, the Yamaha Jazz Scholar Award 2011.
David Ferris was the recipient of the 2016 Help Musicians UK Development Award, which led to the release of his septet’s critically acclaimed debut album, Alphabets, in February 2018. The album was toured with Arts Council support across the country. Also a teacher and composer, the second septet album featuring master guitarist Peter Bernstein is due to be recorded as soon as circumstances allow!
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it’s negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.