Olivia Williams – vocals
Tim Davies – drums
John Young – keys
Joe Bradley – bass
Ralph Porrett – guitar
A searing mix of jazz, soul, Brazilian and electronic sounds, Wandering Wires are establishing themselves as one of the most exciting bands emerging from the UK jazz scene, making their return to the Vortex after a sell-out debut before the pandemic. The Oxford-based quartet are enchanting audiences up and down the country with their fresh approach to song-writing, with grooves and electronics inspired by the likes of Jordan Rakei and Floating Points, combined with vocals reminiscent of Gretchen Parlato and Nai Palm.
Formed at Oxford University, Wandering Wires have supported the likes of The Comet is Coming and Flamingods.
They returned to the live music scene with a bang after a year being unable to perform, with summer they will make their debuts at Green Man, BBC Big Feastival and 42 degrees festivals, They have appeared with QM Records (Brighton) and Sofar Sounds (London) as well as on line ups at Truck and Are You Listening’ Festivals.
After an experimental debut EP, ‘Departures,’ the group’s debut album, ‘Homecoming’ was released in 2018. It has since been featured regularly on BBC Introducing and was described as ‘genre-fluid treat’ by Nightshift Magazine.
Wandering Wires are Olivia Williams (vocals), John Young (keys) Joe Bradley (bass) and Tim Davies (drums). Having met whilst studying at Oxford University, they between them hold degrees in French and Portuguese, Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Music and Physics – widely contrasting backgrounds that play a large part in the group’s multi-faceted approach to jazz.
Wandering Wires will be performing a selection of songs from ‘Homecoming’ alongside re-workings of some of the music that inspires their sound, as well as showcasing music from their upcoming EP, to be released later in 2021.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.