Matthew Herd – saxophones
Liam Noble – piano
Will Glaser – drums
Will Glaser is a Nottinghamshire born drummer and percussionist who mixes an eclectic range of influences in a drumming style that is musical, melodic and deeply rooted in the Jazz tradition. His inspiration draws on every corner of Jazz history, from traditional and early Jazz styles and New Orleans music to Free Jazz and improvised music. Will’s playing style is a charming combination of both the familiar and surprising.
This trio, featuring Liam Noble on Piano and Matthew Herd on Saxophones, released Climbing in Circles in January 2021 on the Ubuntu label, and is the product of two previous duo releases with both Matthew and Liam respectively.
Threaded together by explorative improvisations, the trio play material from a range of sources… American songbook repertoire, Singer/song writers such as Tom Waits song or composers such as Paul Motian or Don Cherry.
In this very intimate setting, these musicians explore all the possibilities of this slightly unusual ensemble. Explorations in sound and colour give way to heavy grooves and walls of energy, strong melodies and transportive atmospheres which link improvisation and compositions alike.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.