This show has now sold-out but we’ll be live streaming the performance from the club in real time. More info HERE
Julian Siegel – Tenor & Soprano Sax, Bass Clarinet & Compositions
Liam Noble – Piano
Oli Hayhurst – Double Bass
Gene Calderazzo – Drums
With the Julian Siegel Quartet, the BBC Jazz Award winning saxophonist and composer Julian Siegel can be heard alongside some of this generation’s most distinctive voices, creating an in-demand Quartet on the UK and European Jazz scene. The band features inspirational pianist Liam Noble, his fluid touch and dazzling imagination perfectly complementing Siegel’s music and playing, and providing a perfect foil for the many directions the music can turn. With the creative spark of dynamic drummer Gene Calderazzo and the deep groove of bassist Oli Hayhurst dove-tailing perfectly with Siegel and Noble this is unquestionably one of the UK’s most exciting and powerful quartets.
Following up from their London Jazz Award winning album Urban Theme Park (Basho Music), 2018 saw the release of VISTA, the second album of the Julian Siegel Quartet and the first on the Whirlwind Recordings label. The album features ten of Julian’s compositions plus an arrangement of Bud Powell’s ‘Un Poco Loco’. This new acoustic set of music moves freely through varied sound worlds and colours, from undercurrents of bop to searching ballads and joyful melodies.
Since the release of VISTA, the band has performed internationally at Jazz Festivals including INNtöne Jazz Festival in Austria, Made in The UK at the Rochester International Jazz Festival, the Jazz Standard NYC, JazzFestival Goettingen in Germany, Limerick Jazz Festival Ireland, UK’s Love Supreme Festival 2019, Bristol International Jazz and Blues Festival, Manchester International Jazz Festival and many other UK shows included in an extensive 2018 – 2019 Arts Council England UK Tour.
The Quartet was featured on the cover of UK’s Jazzwise Magazine in February 2018 and VISTA was included in Jazzwise’s Top 20 Jazz Albums of the year
“Expressive direct music…. tightly wound post-bop, pensive improv. and more.” John Fordham, The Guardian ★ ★ ★ ★ Jazz Album of the Month, February 2018
“A great quartet with an enthralling agility.” ★★★★ In Music
“The interaction between the musicians is confident, lyrical and cool, joyous and snappy, precise and sprawling – and enchanting melodiousness throughout.” ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Saarbrücker Zeitung
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome back to the Vortex. Please note that we’ve implemented the following changes to our systems to make the club as Covid-safe as we can:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales. There will be twenty tickets only on sale for each gig.
- If you want to sit together with other people as a group we would ask that one person books all the tickets for the group, so that we are aware that you want to sit together.
- Up to six people may sit together as a group (unless the group consists of two households only in which case more than six may sit together).
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace using the NHS Covid app (or, if you do not have a smartphone. we will ask you to sign in manually)
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- We ask everyone to observe social distancing at all times.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.