Roella Oloro – Alto Saxophone and Piano
Ezekiel Ajie – Bass
Andee Liu – Drums
Roella Oloro is a British composer and multi-instrumentalist of Nigerian and Jamaican descent. Her early musical home was in the Pentecostal Church playing piano in regional gospel choirs around south west England, teaching her to play piano by ear alongside her classical training in piano, clarinet, alto saxophone and bass guitar. She became inspired by jazz in her early teens after hearing the virtuosic brilliance of Oscar Peterson. She first moved to London in 2017 to study at Trinity Laban and quickly got involved with London’s vibrant scene, performing with bands like the Tomorrow’s Warriors Female Frontline, as well as regularly attending jams at Ronnie Scott’s, The Haggerston, Troy Bar and Steamdown among others.
After spending summer 2018 at Berklee College of Music under the mentorship of renowned drummer Terri Lyne-Carrington, she was offered a full scholarship to study there. After a rigorous fundraising campaign that saw communities come together to help her raise £23,000 in 4 months, Roella was able to take up her place at Berklee and has been studying there since September 2019. As a composer she has written for a variety of different ensembles, one of her first pieces for big band ,”Cruisin'” was played at the Royal Albert Hall.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome back to the Vortex. Please note that we’ve implemented the following changes to our systems to make the club as Covid-safe as we can:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales. There will be twenty tickets only onsale for each gig.
- If you want to sit together as a household/bubble we would ask that one person books all the tickets for the group. If you book separately you may be seated separately.
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We will ask you on entry to provide contact details for NHS Test and Trace. If possible please bring your own pen to write down the details.
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken at tables ONLY via the Butlr app. We are sorry but for the time being no hot drinks will be available.
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- We are cashless – we accept contactless payments only, and all drinks can only be purchased through the Butlr app
- We ask everyone to observe social distancing at all times. One metre social distancing will operate in the club space, with mitigations as detailed in the risk assessment which is available on the website.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.