Byron Wallen – Trumpet
Nick Ramm – Piano
Black Flag is a body of work from 2004, commissioned by the Jerwood Foundation.
The project, a short series named Dangerous Duets, brought together musicians performing original work exploring different approaches to improvising as a duo.
The music charts the psychological and emotional frontiers of contact between a mother and son separated by the Atlantic Ocean. It dives into the multi layered Debris and Toxic waste caused by global imperialism and colonialism. The creation of Lost souls and generations living in socio-economic poverty confined within a mental bubble of paralysis. Explore the shifting balance of power between the urban and rural with a glimpse of light before the sun.
The work is also a response to the photography of Annabel Elgar. Her images affirm voyeuristic vantage points, which negotiate the boundary between seeming comfort and unfolding details, which suggest less easy realities within the frame.
Byron has worked with Nick Ramm since the 90’s, he was the keyboard player in my group Sound Advice and the Tarot Suite. We have a deep synergy and I love the breadth and clarity of his musical voice.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.