Tutor: Gundula Gruen
Who is it for?
- All ages –children below 13 must be accompanied by an adult
- Anybody who loves to sing – no previous knowledge necessary
- Mixed level, mixed vocal range – there are easier and more difficult parts
What will we do?
- Basic warm up and vocal technique
- Learn songs from a range of countries, in Rromanes (language of the Gypsies,) Russian, Serbian, Romanian and more
- We will mostly learn by ear, but use sheets for all lyrics and some of the songs, and be learning harmonies
About the Tutor
Gundula is a violinist and singer, whose study and passion encompass Gypsy and folk music from Eastern Europe and the Balkans. In the last 20 years, she gained recognition not only as a lead performer with her group Tatcho Drom and the founder/director of the London Gypsy Orchestra, but also as a Gypsy/Eastern European/Balkan music specialist, composer and as a creator of musical art projects, which inspire many people to actively take part.
She has performed at art centres, festivals, and for serious occasions in the UK and abroad, being featured in Music documentary such as ‘How Music Works’ (Channel 4) and TRT Turkish television, and been a guest on many world music radio programs with BBC, Resonance and local stations. Gundula has also published the ‘Gypsy Music Collection’ book and audio CD with 65 pieces from Eastern Europe and the Balkans. Her newest album ‘The Devil’s Lentil Soup’ has acclaimed great reviews from Songlines, Froots and other publications.
Gundula originally studied classical violin in Germany, and continued after reaching the degree with jazz post-grad studies. She travelled extensively and collected music from all over Eastern Europe and the Balkans.