Local trumpeter and composer Loz Speyer returns to the Vortex, for the first outing playing his own music since lockdown – in his Quartet featuring Hannes Riepler and a brilliant new rhythm section. Both sets include jazz tunes built to last from a range of Speyer albums, and new ones never yet heard composed during lockdown.
“A set of immaculate hard bop compositions… bright trumpet with a tone combining generous doses of Brownie and hints of Woody Shaw or mid-period Miles… The band is both fluid and tight, able to navigate the quick-shifting rhythms and accents of Speyer’s songs quite nimbly.” – David Lewis, Cadence (USA) – reviewing the Loz Speyer Quartet album, Two Kinds of Blue (33 Records)
“My tunes for this quartet are anchored in the Jazz tradition – some moving in the direction of free jazz, which we delves into more fully with Inner Space; others more towards the Cuban clave, explored and exploded in my band Time Zone… All this offset with a few pieces by Thelonious Monk which Hannes and I have been working on for a while now, and have been a huge influence on my writing.
We hope the gig will also help towards a new fund I have set up to help support the families of two Cuban musicians I collaborated with in Proyecto Evocación, in Santiago de Cuba. 18 months on they are still without work due to ongoing Coronavirus restrictions and a strict curfew, and suffering rising prices and severe shortages of food and medicines.”
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.