Meg Bird – Vocals
Jay Verma – Piano
Harry Pearce – Bass
Tom Potter – Drums
Damon Oliver – Saxophone
Meg Bird is an emerging young artist right on the cusp of an exciting musical career. Her debut album, produced by Claire Martin OBE is due for release this October.
Her sound is rooted in the jazz tradition and takes inspiration from vocalists like Betty Carter and Cecile McLorin Salvant, and she constantly pushes songs, both old and new, to fresh boundaries.
An accomplished song-writer (she graduated with a 1st from The Guildhall School of Music in 2020), she fuses her rich sound with her love of songwriters like Joni Mitchell and Rufus Wainwright, bringing her passion for a lyric firmly into the world of jazz.
Born and bred in East London, Meg has performed in some of London’s most popular Jazz clubs, such as Kansas Smitties and The Vortex and as far afield as The Blue Arrow’ in Glasgow.
This performance will give audience members a sneak of preview of some of the tracks from Meg’s upcoming album ‘Girls Like Lions’. Meg will also be accompanied by the album’s wonderful rhythm section, made up of some of London’s most exciting, up and coming musicians.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.