Sean Gibbs – trumpet
Riley Stone-Lonergan – tenor
Rob Brockway – piano
Jay Davis – drums
Calum Gourlay – bass
Sean resides in London and is an in-demand performer across the UK and abroad. He is a member of the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra (with which he has performed with guest soloists such as Kurt Elling, Joe Locke, Kenny Washington, Martin Taylor, Jazzmeia Horn, Bill Evans, Makoto Ozone and Mike Mainieri), Young Pilgrims, the Calum Gourlay Big Band, the Mike Fletcher Jazz Orchestra, the Martin Kershaw Octet and Paul Towndrow’s Keywork Orchestra. As a freelance musician, Sean has performed with Jim Rattigan’s Pavillon, Eliza Carthy’s Wayward Band and Chris Dean’s Syd Lawrence Orchestra, to name but a few.
Sean is also a prolific composer/arranger, having written many works for big band, including commissions for the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra and Greater Manchester Jazz Orchestra. His compositions have been recorded by the Birmingham Jazz Orchestra and performed as far afield as the USA, by the University of Miami’s Frost Studio Jazz Band.
Sean describes the music and the idea behind When Can I See You Again?, his upcoming Ubuntu Music release: “The album features original music of mine, steeped in the jazz tradition, with a focus on lyrical melodies, hearty grooves and a deep association with the blues. The compositions are largely about celebrating the human connections that I’d sometimes taken for granted, many of which became sorely missed with the pandemic. It was an immense privilege to record these pieces with some of my favourite musicians on the London jazz scene, and I can’t wait to share them with you all.”
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales.
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.