Josephine Davies – saxophone
Will Glaser – drums
Dave Whitford – bass
Satori is a Buddhist word meaning a moment of presence and inner spaciousness away from the clutter of thought, and reflects saxophonist and composer Josephine Davies’ fascination with Japanese philosophy. It is her most recent artistic project, in which she demonstrates a continuing evolution of sound and style in both her playing and her writing. The deliberate omission of a chordal instrument as well as the frequent absence of regular harmonic sequence allows the compositions to serve as a loose base for the spontaneity and creativity of the players, giving rise to a uniquely integrated trio sound.
Featuring the irrepressible musicality of saxophonist Josephine Davies, drummer James Maddren, and bassist Dave Whitford, Satori is an ever-evolving ensemble that defies the categorization of either avant-garde or mainstream jazz, instead shifting deftly and dynamically through various imaginative soundscapes according to where their shared inspiration takes them.
Their third album ‘How Can We Wake?’ was released on Whirlwind Recordings in October 2020 to wide acclaim. Inspired by the writings of the Indian sage Patanjali, this suite of pieces was recorded live in the atmospheric setting of North London’s Oxford Tavern and is a beautifully creative and magical offering from this inimitable trio.
“Definitely a band to watch.” ★★★★1/2 – Downbeat Magazine
“Winning immediacy.” ★★★★ – Mojo Magazine
“Refreshingly imaginative and invigorating.” – All About Jazz
“Inventive, Lyrical” – Jazzwise Magazine
“Spiritual, Spiralling, Joyful.” – UK Vibe
“Fluent, Imaginative.” ★★★★ The JazzMann
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- Please buy tickets in advance as there will be no door sales.
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.